Reading is one of the four modules of the IELTS test. This module differs for the students who are appearing for the Academic and General Training exam. The number of and type of questions remain same but the context of questions and passages vary.
About the module
For the IELTS Academic reading, there are 40 questions which are divided into 3sections. Each section contains one long passage. These passages can be from scientific journals, magazines, newspaper articles and books. However, for the General training module, the sections contain texts from advertisements, leaflets, notices instruction manuals, newspapers, books and magazines.
Type of questions asked
The type of questions asked in both the modules (academic /general) is same, including- selecting a correct heading from the paragraphs, identifying writer’s view, fill in the blanks, completing the sentences, choosing the correct answers, table completion and labeling the diagram, multiple choice questions.
Here are some tips and tricks that can help the students to perform well in this module:
- Candidates should target on the number of questions and manage their time accordingly.
- While attempting reading module, students should not focus on difficult questions. They should move further without wasting much time on a single question. Preferably they should not spend more than 2 minutes on a particular question.
- Start skimming from the beginning of the passage. Skim and scan the passage so that you understand the theme of the passage.
- Read the instructions carefully. After the instructions, target the question and pick the keyword and start searching.
- Try to translate and understand the question and look for synonyms. This will help you in searching the answers easily.
- Select your answers from the provided written passage. Do not make any assumptions and predictions, especially in case of Yes/ No/ Not Given answers.
- Once you have found the correct answer, mark the location in the passage. Also, transfer the correct answers to your fair sheet. Do not wait for last minute to transfer the answers. This approach can make your answers wrong. As the hurry of transferring the answers can be dangerous.
- Make sure that spellings are correct and you have answered according to the instructions.
- Answer all questions as there is no negative marking in IELTS.
Try to implement the above-mentioned tips as these can help you to score good bands in both Academic and General Training.
6 thoughts on “Strategies to Excel IELTS Reading Module”
Pingback: Imperative Things About Vocabulary For IELTS Exam
Pingback: Collocations –The Way to Boost Your Score in IELTS
Pingback: Welkinedusolutions - The Importance Of Tone
Pingback: Welkinedusolutions - Some Creative Ways To Learn English Language
Pingback: Most important things need to be kept in mind while going for an interview
Pingback: IELTS Reading: 6 Easy Steps to Solve True, False, Not Given